Pages

Friday 21 December 2012

Uday Thulung conferred with Sahitya Akademi Award, 2012

PB;. Gangtok, 21 December – Uday Thulung, a contemporary Nepali writer cum poet from Mungpoo, Darjeeling District has been selected for the Sahitya Akademi Award, 2012 under Nepali Literature for his collection of short stories entitled as “Ekanta Bas”. The award is presented every year by Sahitya Akademi, Delhi to diverse writers writing in various languages.

 This time six writers were selected including Uday Thulung for Nepali, Jayant Pawar (Marathi), Gourahari Das (Odia), Gangadhar Hansda (Santail), Lt. Indra Vaswani (Sindhi) and Peddibhiotla Subbaramaiah (Telugu) for their books of short stories. The selection Committee for Nepali literature comprised of writers like Nanda Hangkhim, Padmashree, Sanu Lama and Mohan Thakuri, as they took the decision on awarding Thulung with the Sahitya Akademi Award (Nepali literature). 

 Thulung further stated, “I feel obliged and when heard about the award I was moreover shocked and this award is not only for me but it is dedicated to the whole Nepali literary lovers. Last year, there aroused a controversy with the award presented to the Nepali Awardee but this year as my name has been selected, I hope every literati’s expresses satisfaction. I feel my responsibility towards my sanctuary has increased”. The first writer to have conferred with the Sahitya Akademi Award was Indra Bahadhur Rai in early 70’s.

No comments: